Q. What if the "at-fault" driver does not have "enough" insurance?

If you have a claim that is larger than the coverage on the "at-fault" driver's insurance policy, you file your claim against your insurance company under your Underinsured Motorist (UM or UIM) coverage. Hopefully, you have UM/UIM coverage. In the case of a severely injured person who requires extended hospital care, his or her medical bills may be several times the liability limits on the "at-fault" driver's vehicle with average coverage. By some estimates, most vehicles are underinsured. Everyone should have adequate UM/UIM coverage. If the underinsured "at-fault" driver hits a car in which you are the passenger, it is your UM/UIM coverage that will handle the claim. If your injuries are significant, it may be possible to "stack" insurance.